can help you:
to turn away from sin …. What can make you wise …. Strengthen your
faith …. Help you to lead a holy life …. Comfort you .… Make you
happy .… Show you the right way …. Let you grow …. Help you to
resist any temptation? ….. the Bible!
THE BIBLE IS THE WORD OF GOD
Everything in the Scriptures is God's Word. All of it is useful for
teaching and helping people and for correcting them and showing them how
to live. (2Tim 3:16 CEV)
If you want to hear the voice of God speaking to
you, just read your Bible.
"My word is like the snow and the rain that
come down from the sky to water the earth. They make the crops grow and
provide seed for planting and food to eat. So also will be the word that I
speak--- it will not fail to do what I plan for it; it will do everything
I send it to do.
(Isa 55:10-11 GNB)
THE BIBLE IS CALLED ….
The word of God, the revelation of God, Scriptures, His orders or
commands, His law, rules or commandments, His teachings, instructions, His
counsel, statues or precepts …. If you read these phrases in your Bible
they all refer to the written word of God.
THE BIBLE IS A UNIQUE BOOK
It is a collection of 66 books, written by 40 different authors over a
period of 1600 years with one central theme, expressed in different ways.
It includes history, prophecy, poetry, biography, ethics, philosophy and
science, and in each of these, it is infallibly true.
THE CENTRAL THEME OF THE BIBLE
The Bible tells us who God is, for example:
· I, the LORD, am a God who is full of compassion and pity, who is not
easily angered and who shows great love and faithfulness. I keep my
promise for thousands of generations and forgive evil and sin. (Exo 34:6-7
· The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my Saviour, my God, my rock in
whom I take refuge, my shield, and the strength of my salvation, my
stronghold. (Ps 18:2 GW)
The Bible tells us that God's plan for our
salvation is through Jesus Christ
· There's nothing like the written Word of God for showing you the way to
salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. (2Tim 3:15 MSG)
The Bible gives instructions for our lives as
· By your words I can see where I'm going; they throw a beam of light on
my dark path. (Ps 119:105 MSG)
· Through the Word we are put together and shaped up for the tasks God
has for us. (2Tim 3:17 MSG)
· How can a young person keep his life pure? He can do it by holding on
to your word. (Ps 119:9 GW)
· Let my steps be guided by your word. (Ps 119:133 BBE)
THE BIBLE IS ALWAYS TRUE
Because the Bible is the truth, we can live with this attitude: "If
God said it, I believe it, that settles it".
· … Your word is the true word. (John 17:17 BBE)
· Flowers and grass fade away, but what our God has said will never
change. (Isa 40:8 CEV)
· Long ago I learned from your written instructions that you made them to
last forever. (Ps 119:152 GW)
· … all your commands are permanent. (Ps 119:151 GNB)
THE BIBLE IS A LIVING WORD, IT IS MEANT FOR US,
IT IS APPLICABLE TODAY
God's word is living and active. It is sharper than any two-edged sword
and cuts as deep as the place where soul and spirit meet, the place where
joints and marrow meet. God's word judges a person's thoughts and
intentions. (Heb 4:12 GW)
THE TRUE STORY OF A 16-YEAR-OLD CHINESE BOY,
YUN, WHO DESPERATELY WANTED A BIBLE
(From the book "Heavenly Man")
Yun frequently asked his mother who Jesus truly
was. She told him "Jesus is the Son of God who died on the cross for
us, taking all our sins and sicknesses. He recorded all His teachings in
the Bible". He wanted to know if there were any words of Jesus left
that he could read for himself. She replied "No, all His words are
gone". This was during the Cultural Revolution when Bibles could not
be found in China. From that day on he earnestly wanted to have his own
Bible. He asked his mother and fellow Christians what a Bible looked like,
but no one knew. The Word of God was scarce in the land.
His mother told him about an old pastor who had a
Bible. They went there, but the pastor was too afraid to show them the
Bible, because he could go to prison for having a Bible. He told the boy
"The Bible is a heavenly book. If you want one, you'll need to pray
to the God of heaven. Only He can provide you a heavenly book. God is
faithful. He always answers those who seek Him with all of their
When he got home he brought a stone into his room and knelt down on it
every evening for prayer. He had just one simple prayer "Lord, please
give me a Bible. Amen". Nothing happened A Bible didn't appear.
He went back to the pastor's house and asked him "please show me your
Bible. Just a glance and I will be satisfied! I don't need to touch it.
You hold it and I will be content just to look at it". The pastor
replied: "If you are serious, then you should not only kneel down and
pray, you should also fast and weep." The boy did this and for 100
more days he prayed and fasted and waited for a Bible.
Early one morning two men came to their house with a red bag, and in the
bag was a Bible that they gave to him.
"I clutched my new Bible to my heart and fell down on my knees. I
thanked God again and again. I promised Jesus that from that moment on, I
would devour His Word like a hungry child.
I fully trusted that the words in the Bible were God's words to me. Every
day from morning to late evening I read the Word of God. When I had to
work in the fields, I wrapped my Bible inside my clothing and took every
opportunity to sit down and read. At night time I took my Bible with me to
bed and laid it on my chest."
It wasn't easy for him to read his Bible, because he only had 3 years of
education. He looked up every word in a dictionary, and very slowly read
through the whole Bible. Then he started to memorize a chapter a day, and
after 28 days he had memorized the whole Gospel of Matthew. .. and so he
went on until he had memorized the whole Bible.
… AND YOU? HOW DO YOU REACT TO THE BIBLE?
Do you love your Bible?
· I love and obey your laws with all my heart. (Ps 119:167 CEV)
· I love your commands! They bring me happiness. (Ps 119:47 CEV)
Do you have a desire to learn more from the Word
· My mouth was open wide, waiting with great desire for your teachings.
(Ps 119:131 BBE)
Do you take pleasure in the Word of God?
· I will take pleasure in your laws and remember your words. (Ps 119:16
· … Your revelation is the tune I dance to. (Ps 119:77 MSG)
Does it make you happy to read and study the
Word of God?
· Indeed, your written instructions make me happy. They are my best
friends. (Ps 119:24 GW)
· The Lord's instruction is right; it makes our hearts glad. His commands
shine brightly, and they give us light. (Ps 19:8 CEV)
Is your Bible more precious than silver and gold
· The teachings that come from your mouth are worth more to me than
thousands in gold or silver. (Ps 119:72 GW)
· Obeying your instructions brings as much happiness as being rich. (Ps
Do you live according to the instructions that
the Lord gives in the Bible, do you obey His commandments?
· Without any hesitation I hurry to obey your commandments. (Ps 119:60
· Obey God's message! Don't fool yourselves by just listening to it.
(James 1:22 CEV)
FILL YOUR MIND WITH THE WORD OF GOD
· Thinking about your commands will keep me from doing some foolish
thing. (Ps 119:6 CEV)
· In conclusion, my friends, fill your minds with those things that are
good and that deserve praise: things that are true, noble, right, pure,
lovely, and honourable. (Phil 4:8 GNB)
… AND LET THE WORD OF GOD CHANGE YOU
My words are a powerful fire; they are a hammer that shatters rocks. (Jer
Make time everyday to read the Bible, meditate on
it, memorize verses, and apply it in your life, yes … "chew on
scripture day and night" (Ps 1:2 MSG)
"Scriptures are shallow
enough for a babe to come and drink without fear of drowning and deep
enough for theologians to swim in without ever touching the bottom"